Artful Contemplation is the daily practice of mindfulness through the contemplation of art.
Mindfulness is a contemporary term for an ancient practice of finding connection with environment and integration within.
Mindfulness is about cultivating an awareness and appreciation of the here and now, of the richness of your present experience.The South African College of Applied Psychology, blog, 2018
Artful Contemplation cultivates awareness, realization and illumination through focused attention on a single inspirational image.
How does it work?
You may already be practiced in sitting meditation. And you may enjoy viewing or creating art. Artful Contemplation brings these contemplative practices together in a powerful experience that extends beyond language and concept.
We have access to a vast collection of intuitive art talismans that were created by self-taught artist Lanon Prigge. Lanon has over 25 years of experience in shamanic practices, embodiment and energetic principles, existential musing and artistic expression (including singing, acting, dancing, directing, choreography and creative writing).
These art talismans speak in the language of symbol, metaphor and association. Lanon refers to them as metascapes. Meta-, derived from the Greek meta– μετά-, means ‘after’ or ‘beyond’ and refers to the non-ordinary nature of these artworks. Metascapes reflect the elemental, fractal, microcosmic patterns of organization underlying ordinary reality.
They invite curiosity, allowing the heart to lead the mind into a state of awe and wonder. And they encourage contemplation, allowing the mind to lead the heart into a state of surrender and integration. It is the dialogue between what you see and how you feel, how you interpret and what state that evokes, that offers the potential for personal healing and illumination.
Our artworks are primarily available as digital downloads, limited edition prints and collectible card decks. This means you can take your Artful Contemplation in hand and practice it throughout the day in your ordinary home, work or social environments.
What are the benefits?
Our need for stillness, silence and personal sanctuary increases in proportion to the speed, intensity and sociability of our lives. Like any mindfulness practice, Artful Contemplation offers the opportunity to slow down, settle in, pay attention and appreciate.
Artful Contemplation integrates seamlessly with the rhythms and requirements of a contemporary lifestyle. It uses the same digital technology that tends to overstimulate and speed us up, to settle and slow us down.
Artful Contemplation can be practiced in the midst of your daily busyness. It makes use of the immediacy, vibrancy and intimacy afforded by digital devices to create a daily sanctuary, an easily accessible restore point.
As a daily mindfulness practice, Artful Contemplation increases:
- Non-judgmental perception.
- Trust in your intuition.
- Deepening personal insights.
- Transcendental realizations.
How do I practice Artful Contemplation?
If you are new to Artful Contemplation, then follow the tips outlined below to get you started:
1. Click on any of our Daily Artful Contemplation posts. A new intuitive artwork is created and uploaded everyday for your daily mindfulness practice.
2. Settle down. Settle in. Breathe. Observe what arises without censorship. Make note of your first impressions.
3. Perhaps certain sounds or smells get activated. You might experience strong feelings or memory flashes. If you prefer to make sense of things through words, then jot down any phrases that come to mind. Or if you are more visually inclined, doodle and sketch these initial impressions.
3. Don’t concern yourself with writing full sentences – and it doesn’t matter if you don’t believe you draw well. These first responses are for your eyes only and simply part of the process of moving past your first uprisings towards deepened contemplation. If you find yourself getting growing anxious about what the image means, return to point 2. Breathe. Settle down. Settle in.
4. Keep training your attention on the artwork. Immerse yourself in the metascape. Observe what arises and simply acknowledge what unfolds. Practice feeling with your eyes. Practice tasting with your ears. Submerge yourself in the colors. Flow with the music that arises as you journey along its contours.
5. There is no goal or outcome to your Artful Contemplation. There is no right or absolute interpretation of the artwork. In fact, your full engagement is far more beneficial than ‘correct interpretation’. You don’t even need to like the image. Give yourself permission to observe your observing. If you notice any tension or anxiety creeping in, return to point 2. Breathe. Settle down. Settle in.
No artwork is complete without a recipient. The artwork is a gesture from the artist. The viewer completes the movement with a reciprocal gesture.INTUITIVE ARTIST, LANON CARL PRIGGE, 2019
Join the revival
Our exposure to technological innovations and diverse forms of sacred art gives artists at the dawn of the twenty-first century a unique opportunity to create more integrative and universal spiritual art than ever before.Visionary artist, Alex Grey
Did you find your first encounter with Artful Contemplation beneficial?
You can increase your daily benefits by doing one or all of the following: